The death of a baby seven days after his emergency delivery was “wholly avoidable”, a coroner has ruled.
Harry Richford died a week after he was born at Margate’s Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother Hospital (QEQM) in 2017.
Coroner Christopher Sutton-Mattocks was told Harry was born not crying, pale, and with no movement in an operating room “full of panicking people“.
Giving a narrative conclusion, he found Harry’s death was “contributed to by neglect”.
Dr Paul Stevens, medical director for East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust, said: “We are deeply sorry and wholeheartedly apologise for our failings in Harry’s care and accept the coroner’s conclusion and findings.”
‘Harry was failed’
Mr Sutton-Mattocks said Sarah and Tom Richford had been excited about becoming first-time parents but had been left grieving.
He said: “They are grieving for a child they believe should not have died. I agree with them.
“Mr and Mrs Richford were failed by the hospital, but more importantly Harry was failed.”
Mr Sutton-Mattocks criticised the hospital trust for initially saying Harry’s death was “expected”, which meant the coroner was not informed of Harry’s death.
It was only because of the persistence of the family that an inquest was ordered, the coroner said.
He praised Harry’s parents for being “calm and dignified” during the inquest, and added: “Today Harry should be almost two years and three months old… a bundle of energy.
“Instead his family are still grieving and will do so for the rest of their lives.”
‘Damage was done’
Mrs Richford had gone to the midwifery-led unit at QEQM on 31 October 2017. Twenty hours later she was moved to the labour ward and given a drug to speed up labour.
At 01:30 GMT on 2 November, concerns were raised about Harry’s heartbeat.
Three midwives and a senior doctor recalled how it kept dropping and how there were concerns over his position before he was born.
At 02:05 it was decided the baby needed to be delivered, but it was not until an hour later that locum registrar Dr Christos Spyroulis began an attempt to do so using forceps.
Harry was born by emergency Caesarean at 03:32, “to all intents and purposes lifeless”. It took 28 minutes to resuscitate him “by which time the damage was done”, the coroner said.
Obstetrics expert Myles Taylor had told the inquest “but for a failure to deliver at 2am” Harry would have been born in good condition and would have survived.
Dr Giles Kendall, a neonatal medicine expert, said Harry suffered irreversible brain damage and that had resuscitations been of an appropriate standard, Harry would almost certainly have survived.
Explaining his conclusion, Mr Sutton-Mattocks said he considered the divergences of unlawful killing or neglect.
“I do not conclude the failures were so large and so atrocious as to fall within the definition of unlawful killing.”
He said there were failures by a number of people some of whom lacked the experience for the positions they were in.
When Harry was less than nine hours old he was transferred to a neo-natal intensive care unit in Ashford where he survived for a week with the aid of life support.
His parents were told he would never be able to feed himself or walk, so the advice from the consultant was that they withdraw his care
Speaking to the BBC, Mrs Richford said she and her husband were unable to hold their son “until they day that he died”, and the seven days during which he had survived had been “the worst week in their life”.
“Harry was perfect when we saw him and to have to withdraw the care from your baby and to live with that afterwards… it’s a whirlwind of negative emotions to try and cope in everyday life.
“It has been the hardest two years of our life,” she said.
On Thursday it was revealed that at least seven preventable baby deaths may have occurred at the East Kent Hospitals Trust since 2016.
The trust was placed into special measures in 2014 following an inspection by the Care Quality Commission (CQC) which rated its care, including maternity services, as inadequate.
Subsequent CQC reports have rated it as Requires Improvement.
Ted Baker, chief inspector for hospitals, said the commission was aware of the conclusion of Harry’s inquest, and it had conducted an unannounced inspection of the trust’s maternity services on Wednesday and Thursday.
“CQC’s investigation is ongoing and no decision has been taken at this stage on whether we will prosecute the trust for a failure to provide safe care or treatment resulting in avoidable harm or a significant risk of avoidable harm,” he said.