The UK government is preparing for a breakdown in talks with the EU over Brexit this week, according to No 10.
A government official told the BBC the EU had not shown a desire to “budge one centimetre” since Boris Johnson submitted new proposals to Brussels.
They said a deal was not completely ruled out, but another source said the PM’s plans were “the only way out”.
It comes after leaks from the European Commission showed major concerns from the EU about the UK’s Brexit proposals.
On Monday night, the Spectator published leaked texts from a Downing Street source, who claimed if the deal “dies in the next few days, then it won’t be revived”.
The government has not denied the leak, which also said Boris Johnson “will do all sorts of things to scupper a delay” to leaving the EU and that the UK may try to disrupt EU workings if forced to remain.
Former Tory cabinet minister Amber Rudd – who quit her role and job over the government’s position on Brexit – said the language was “angry and desperate”, and urged the prime minister to focus on getting “clarity” on a deal with “dignity and diplomacy”.
The UK sent new proposals for a Brexit deal to Brussels last week, with Mr Johnson urging the EU to enter detailed talks to “thrash out” any objections.
The main focus is to replace the so-called backstop – the policy negotiated by Theresa May and the EU to prevent a hard border returning to the island of Ireland – which has long been a sticking point with Parliament for agreeing a deal.
Mr Johnson has said the UK will leave the EU on the Brexit deadline of 31 October, with or without a deal.
But under legislation passed by MPs last month known, as the Benn Act, Mr Johnson must write to the EU requesting a further delay if no deal is signed off by Parliament by 19 October – unless MPs agree to a no-deal Brexit.